Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2016

Expect ...

George Chryssides's publisher sent me a review copy of his new book, Jehovah's Witnesses: Continuity and Change. Expect a review after I've read it through twice or thrice. I'm on page 55 on the first reading. Up to page 55 this is a stellar generalist book. It puts to shame many of the earlier books treating this subject. I'll keep you updated.

So far I've found one minor grammar fault, meaningless. And one place where he would have benefited from our second book, not in print when his mss was finished. It is a very expensive book, but at page 55, and no further, I'd recommend it.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read a good deal of Chryssides articles on Jehovah's Witnesses, including this latest book. I have always found him fair minded, perceptive, knowledgeable and helpful. He is a scholar who is prepared to hear what the Witnesses say for themselves without relying on the second hand opinions of others who may have a vested interest in attacking them. At the same time, he manages to present a balanced account for the reader and doesn't hide issues where he considers they do exist.

I consider Continuity and Change his best work to date. It is disappointing that the price of this book will put it beyond the reach of many readers, as is sadly the case with many scholarly works.

Son of Ton

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

I've finished my first read through. I remain impressed. I'll read it again. Then post a review.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for drawing our attention to this book. I look forward to your review of it.

Miquel Angel Plaza-Navas said...

I agree with you in that Mr. Chryssides has an interesting position in dealing with Jehovah's witnesses related issues. For example, his dictionary about this topic is a good point to begin and his articles are also of a great academical quality. I will meet with him next week, if nothing happens, in a religious congress in which I hope to speak with him. At that congress I will mention the work that has been done in this blog and your both books...
Miquel Angel