Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2019

Russell Family History



 As a long time family historian and amateur genealogist it was logical for me to try and find out more about CTR’s family. A starting point was the family tree that Robert Speel (a descendant of Mabel Russell, daughter of Joseph Lytle Russell and Emma Ackley) produced many years ago. Most readers interested in this subject will already have a copy of this. It has some errors, but since the research was done in the pre-internet age, much of it holds up well, albeit incomplete.

About a year ago I homed in on Fannie Harper, Joseph Lytle’s younger sister, who never left Ireland. Through sites like Ancestry, Find My Past, Find a Grave etc. I traced the line forward but was unable to make contact with modern descendants. (This has often worked for many figures in Watch Tower history, yielding family details and the Holy Grail, photographs – but alas, not this time.) Using the Ulster Historical Society I tried to go back a further generation or two. I eventually received a 15 page report that showed how hard they’d worked to uncover so little. However, if anyone here would like a copy of this report to see if they can make more from it, please contact me back-channel.

Recently I have been concentrating on one of Joseph Lytle’s older brothers, Alexander, who lived in New York. I traced his family down to include a daughter who was a missionary for a conventional organization in Turkey for 38 years. Another daughter worshiped at the Plymouth Church in New York long before it became the Brooklyn Tabernacle. And this time I made contact with one of Alexander’s descendants (by marriage). Indirectly from her I obtained a document written by one of CTR’s cousins - although I doubt he ever met her – that supplied a huge amount of detail. (I have sent copies to Bruce and Rachael.) I am currently continuing to double-check what I can to make sure that before I go into print myself I am as accurate online as I can be in the circumstances.

Two articles are planned in due course, but here are just two tasters. First, Joseph Lytle Russell was one of thirteen children, although not all survived into adulthood. Second, the first few of the Russell family to come to America made their home in New York. Moving to Pittsburgh and Allegheny came later. This gives a new geographical focus for continued research.

No comments: