Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2019

History's Mysteries

One of the unfinished chapters destined for Separate Identity vol 2 has languished because it was becoming repetitious, and the outline for the 'second half' was unsatisfactory. A chance find has led to better path. It has also led me into unsolvable puzzles. Below is a letter that appeared in the December 1885 issue of Zion's Watch Tower. It is from 'a brother.' My best efforts to attach this to a name have yielded no result. Can you do better than I have?


Cairo, [Caro] Mich., Nov. 3, 1885.
DEAR BRO. RUSSELL: I have not been able to do much in the
Master's service. I just got a number of samples of Z.W.T. when
diphtheria became epidemic in this place, and two of my children
were taken sick, but they have both recovered. One family here lost
three children, another two, and some one by the scourge. We were
quarantined for a while. Since I am allowed out I have gathered up
some of the samples. I traveled all one day in the country, where I
had twenty samples out, and only took one subscription; and on my
way home at night, weary with my day's walk, and trying to take a
kind of an inventory of the visible fruit of the day's labor, the
adversary tried to discourage me. Well I soliloquised like this: If I
were working for dollars and cents I should have a poor showing
for the day's work, but thank God I was not looking at the things
that are seen, neither was I seeking to lay up treasures in a bag with
holes in it. The Lord blest me with these words--Be not weary in
well-doing, for in due season we shall reap--upon this condition--
"that we faint not." Oh, I am so glad that we have such a good
Paymaster and a Captain who is able to lead us on to certain
victory. I am glad that God reveals himself to me as an Almighty
God, and one whose mercies are over all his works, and that the
groaning and travailing time of creation is soon to be followed by a
time of rejoicing. I find that the spiritual pulse beats very feebly
among the people. I find people of the world and professors in
general the same--interested more in everything else than they are
in the subject of religion. The great mass will not read anything on
the subject, but there is now and then one who has a spiritual
appetite, and is strengthened by the truth. I am hoping soon to get
out and hold some meetings, and by the grace of God to stir up the
minds of the people, so that they will be inclined to search and see
whether these things are so. On the whole I am greatly encouraged
in regard to the work here. Praying that God may strengthen us
more and more to carry on the war against the powers of darkness, I
remain your brother in Christ,

1 comment:

latecomer said...

Perhaps ZWT (or the letter writer) got the name wrong. I can find no record of a Cairo, Michigan, but the town Caro is the seat of Tuscola County, Michigan. Of course, the town could have gone by both spellings, as did Miamisburg/burgh and Pittburg/burgh.

Checking online death records for Ellington Township, just NE of Caro, I found many recorded deaths due to diphtheria in 1881, but none in 1885.

I was hoping to at least to identify the family that lost three children, and the one that lost two children, so that maybe a connection could be drawn with the letter writer, but I was unable to do that.