Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2019

To answer a question

I've had two off blog requests for scans of the Bible House sermon book. I cannot oblige at this time. It is very fragile, as you can imagine. It will not stand being copied on a flatbed scanner. I do not have an adequate camera. And, as one sometimes must, there is another party who has a document I wish to see, and who has refused to allow access, so we're negotiating a 'trade.' I do not expect that to work out. It depends on how badly they want to see this. The negotiations will collapse if I pay someone to photograph this page by page and make the images available.

In place of many scans or images, I am posting a few, one at a time, as I work through this document.

Herewith is the first sermon. It is by von Zech and dated November 27, 1892.



4 comments:

jerome said...

Did you get any feedback on the handwriting?

B. W. Schulz said...

No, no feed back. I notice that who ever the writer was they consistently spell upon as 'uppon.' If I can ever match that with someone .... But that probably will not happen.

latecomer said...

As far as the spelling 'uppon', do you think that gives any indication that the writer's first language was not English? If you could find other such indications (word order, etc.), it might narrow down the candidates.

Suggestion: Did Mathilde von Zech grow up in a German-speaking household?

B. W. Schulz said...

Yes, Mrs. von Zech was a German speaker. No way to prove this was hers. A clue is that the note book eventually ended up in California, or so it seems, and the last few pages dated 1908 were used as recording keeping for a farm.