Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2019

Expectations


Periodically we’ve had to restate “the rules,” or state our expectations, or a combination of both things. It is time for another, similar post.

First the “usual stuff”: This is a history blog, not a place for theological debate. It is not a place for wild speculation, obnoxious comments, or any similar thing. The first rule here is: Respect your fellow posters and respect the blog editors. If you fail to abide by this first rule, you will disappear from the blog. Do not criticize another’s religion. This is not the place for it. Do not presume things about others who comment here. Do not include your presumptions in blog posts. Some things simply are none of our business, either here or off the blog.

This blog’s older posts remain as a resource. Many who do not leave comments use it as such. Be aware that research improves over time, or it should. Before you use anything from this blog, verify it. Do your due diligence. It pains me to see your essay, book, or article refer to this blog and see that you relied on some obscure, probably dated bit that appeared decades ago.

More seriously, I may have sent you part of our work, pages from volume two, or even volume three of Separate Identity. An institutional writing committee has seen in rough draft the majority of volume two. Rough drafts are not reliable, or may not be. I tell that to a few of those to whom I send work. Some have a long standing habit of misusing or not using footnotes. Some of those visit this blog on a regular basis. If you intend to use my work, I expect you to footnote to it, and I expect you to do it in proper academic format, not in the haphazard formats you usually use. It is easy to format in one of the accepted styles. If in doubt, consult the Chicago Manual of Style. [I’m addressing a specific set of writers who should see themselves in this paragraph.]

If I tell you that a photo that will appear in volume two is used by permission of the family that owns it, that means YOU do not have similar permission unless you contact the family yourself. Photos that appear on this blog are not always in the public domain. Using one without permission is unethical. And as stated before, the contents of this blog are copyrighted.

If you feel free to ask me questions, (I’m assuming you’re one of those with whom I regularly exchange emails) I expect you to show the same consideration I show you. If I answer your email promptly, I expect you to answer mine with the same alacrity.

I expect that your blog comments will be on topic. An example of a post being off topic is a fairly recent one where Rachael’s work was rejected because of what someone else wrote. The comment was personal, and out of order. (This has also happened to me, though not recently.) Do not blame us for someone else’s opinion. If you object to a statement, frame your objection in such a way that it addresses the person who wrote it, not the person who quoted it.

I do not expect you to agree with everything I write. If you disagree, state your reason and give me some proof. Without a clear reason backed by proof, all you have is an opinion. We’re big boys and girls here, or we’re supposed to be. If you think something here insults your religion, ask yourself if it is factual. Your opinion based on your limited personal experience is not a persuasive fact.

Asking questions in the comment trail is acceptable, though I expect you to do your own research first. Early in my career I found myself being used as an encyclopedia. I’m not one. I learned to ask my students: “Where have you looked? What did you find? Where will you look next?” After we progressed through these questions, I might suggest a source. Apply this guidance to yourself before you ask a question here. If you make no progress, then ask your question.

I expect you to use direct, simple sentences when commenting. If you pad comments with the evasive writing style that characterizes some nationalities and many academics, you will set my teeth on edge. Take responsibility for your opinions and statements. Failure to do so is exactly the same as blaming your sister for raiding the cookie jar when you put her up to it.

Do not email me or call my phone. A limited number of blog visitors have my permission to email. You’re probably not one of them. [If you’re already exchanging emails with me, you obviously have my permission to do so.] I’m not going to share personal information via email. I post some nonsense comments about family on my twitter account. I mostly follow a few interested in this blog and some who write on other topics. If you wish, you may follow me, but I expect you to behave well there too. My ID is @SchulzBw.



3 comments:

Poor_German_Collector said...

Dear Bruce,

reading this blog I´m very frustrated that I did not find it earlier...

I have some early items (e.g. two very nice copies of Zech´s German Tabernacle Shadows with stamps of Weber and Samuel Lauper, German "Song of the Bride" printed by Zech in 1889, first Swedish and Danish tracts and Watch Tower magazines printed in Sweden, some photocopies of letters written by Bro. Weber, etc)that may be interesting for you.

How could I contribute to this blog?!

B. W. Schulz said...

I have Zech's Tabernacle Shadows, his personal copy donated to us by his great granddaughter. I would like a scan of the German Songs of the Bride and the other things you mention. You may email me at bwschulz2 at yahoo dot com, and we'll work out the details.

Welcome to the blog.

ZionsHerald said...

Poor_German_Collector,

I would be interested in scans of the same materials. You can reach me at zionsherald at gmail dot com.