Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Barbour in Australia

The problem with tracking Barbour's years in Australia is that records from the 1850s seldom present us with anything but a last name. So one must proceed with caution. We're left with a last name, perhaps spelled phonetically as Barber, and an age at the time of a record's creation.

Despite this, I believe I have found two records with a Mr. Barber with the correct age - that is within reason. Ages are often misstated in similar records. So I've look for records that present me with a male born either side of 1824. There are two records that meet that requirement.

A draw back is that both men are noted as English. However, looking through the records, that appears to be the default listing, and men who have Welsh, Scottish and Irish last names are all listed as English. There is never a notation "American" or "USA."

Here is an extract of one of the records. You will note that this Mr. Barbour is described as a "dealer" which I interpret as a salesman. I suggest, with minimal proof, that he was selling minding equipment to pay his way.

This is a ship's record, required by colonial law even if the ship was only destined to another of the Australian colonies. Click on the image to see it in its entirety. You're assessment is welcome:



1 comment:

Older other sheep said...

I research many records for clients as I trace their family history. They include newspapers and im/emigration records.
I will not use information unless I am 100% sure that it relates to the individual I'm researching. There is such a thing as wishful thinking and making the data fit the framework in which we are working.
As a case in point I am looking at families who lived in South Wales in the district where the Rebecca Riots against turnpikes took place in around 1843. They had the common surname Hugh(es) and Phillips. Those names crop up in Rebecca court proceedings and it would be tempting to claim that clients' forefathers donned dresses and blacked faces. But I am not convinced they are 'right'from the skimpy information that is available.
From the evidence presented above (although you may well be right), I wouldn't claim in print that this man is Barbour and advise caution.
Oh, for an initial for a forename!