Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Rotherham

 A friend to this blog asked a question about the Society printed Rotherham New Testament. Can you answer his question?

Dear Bruce,

Writing Archives got in touch with a couple of years ago because I have a copy of one of the first Bible’s that the Bible House published: 
The New Testament. Newly Translated (From The Greek Text of Tregelles) and Critically Emphasised. With An Introduction and Occasional Notes

They were doing some research into the various printings of the Bible.

I can see why they were doing this now.

I thought that you mentioned Rotherham in Volume 1, but I couldn’t find the reference.

Do you know why Rotherham’s translation was favoured by the Bible Students?

2 comments:

jerome said...

And perhaps Luke 23:43 in Rotherham's with its punctuation: And he said unto him — "Verily, I say unto thee this day: With me, shalt thou be in Paradise."

latecomer said...

In addition to the reasons noted above, I always found Rotherham's translation very useful for its consistent rendering of the Divine Name as "Yahweh" - but even more so for his lengthy, detailed, and comprehensive introduction, in which he establishes the essential need to preserve the Divine Name in the Bible text.

WT posted the text of the Emphasized Version on JW.org this week, but not the introduction. If anyone desires a copy, feel free to contact me back-channel, and I'll try to forward one to you.

Best,

Andrew Martin