Search This Blog

Monday, April 22, 2019

Ethics


I'm struggling with a question of ethics. Rare for me, since I usually make snap decisions, based on my understanding of divine guidance. However, I have the last version of Rachael's introductory essay at hand. I have not posted it. It is with a few small changes the same as the last one.

She added to her bibliography. She made small changes to text. And she included a strongly worded criticism based on a recent experience. I would swallow the experience, and not comment on it. She chose to add a sentence to her essay. Our agreement was that it was hers to write without interference from me. I am uncomfortable with her criticism. She could be 'snippy' and pointed, often was. She was gentle with children, not so much with adults.

I do not believe my obligation to let her speak her mind has passed. But I can add a disclaimer. I can delete the phrase, which I am very reluctant to do because of my promise. [And her comment is undeniably true, even if pointed.] While I must make my own decision, I would welcome comments.

Also, she included a name in the 'thank you' portion of her essay that she was inclined to delete. She had not made a decision by the time of her death. Comments?

3 comments:

latecomer said...

Thank you, Professor Schulz, for taking us readers into your confidence. I have given the matter some thought and prayer, and would like to share some observations.

I seem to remember that the original essay contained some angry words over WT's 'desire to control the narrative' as Rachael put it at the time. It seemed that comment was occasioned by their failure to reply to your written requests. Her second draft had an entirely different flavor, since they had replied to your phone call in the interim.

Is it possible that the reason for her final strongly worded criticism might also be resolved or at least explained before publication, as the previous one was?

If not, would you perhaps be comfortable adding a postscript to her essay, mentioning her criticism without printing it verbatim? That way, although uncomfortable with her criticism, you would be honoring your agreement as far as making her criticism known.

I admire your professionalism and ethics in honoring your agreement even after her passing. Since you have said that her comment is undeniably true, if you perhaps reworked her sentence, without replicating her exact phrasing, could you feel that you had honored your agreement without compromising your opinion about its appropriateness?

One last thought: If her surviving family would somehow feel betrayed by you deleting her comment, that would also be a matter for due consideration.

As far as the name she was inclined to delete, if it is unrelated to the above issue, it seems that would rightly be a matter for your judgment, since you know the circumstances surrounding her reluctance to include it in the final draft.

Again, thank you for welcoming our comments; I hope there might be something helpful to you in the above.

Best regards to you as you continue your singular and unprecedented project.

Andrew Martin

S.P.Olsen said...

Delete! Not all words are suitable for conservation. At least one information in her essays is factually wrong (about hagiographic history) and all the other angry words are not relevant to your fine project.

(Edit my text, it's google translation!)

Chris G. said...

Hello Bruce,
A very touching question as it speaks of your unending loyalty to Rachael which is appreciated.

It could be that her comments were so strong that you’re concerned over their effects on the audience.

I would consider the following...
Perhaps if you believe that Rachael would never have changed her words (or changed them much) print them as is, but with a thoughtful post script from you explaining your views, however divergent from hers.

Or,

If you truly believe she would have likely been influenced to change her wording by a diligent conversation with you. Using your best judgement and balancing that with your loyalty to your promise to her, you may in good conscience allow yourself to “edit” her words based on your deep knowledge of her inner character.

With deepest sincerity,

Chris G